Monday, June 7, 2010

Lost Reflections


Well, the finale has come and gone and of course I'm in Lost withdrawl. There were many great aspects of the finale and I felt the writers did a good job of tying up many loose ends. I didn't always get the sideways world, but it was fascinating. At the end, I loved seeing the reunions - and how much the people on the island needed each other to continue on their personal journeys. The religious symbolism was there for the taking, and I liked the concept that after this life there is a time and space for what Ben described as "working things out" and the themes of redemption, reconciliation, enlightenment, forgiveness . . . . moving on . . . were all there. Presented with lush visuals, great writing and acting and and fabulous original music.

Were there too many commercial interruptions in the finale? Yes. They jerked us out of the story. I'm looking forward to the Season 6 DVDs. Overall, were there too many guns and too much violence in the series for my liking? Yes.

I've never been a big sci fi person so the character-driven aspect always prevailed with me. And what great characters they were. Intriguing, diverse, multinational, flawed, heroic.  And at times even funny.

I think the right people ended up together. Thank you, writers, for that and many other great moments in the last 6 years.

Favorite couples:

Jack and Kate
Sawyer and Kate
Sawyer and Juliet
Jack and Juliet
Rose and Bernard
Jin and Sun
Desmond and Penny
Hurley and anybody, especially Jin

Least favorite couples:
Nicki and Paulo
Anna Lucia and Sawyer

Laughed out loud at Miles' remark: "I don't believe in a lot of things but I do believe in duct tape."

Well, we can assume that the Losties have moved on in their spiritual journeys, the island is relatively intact somewhere in the Pacific (?) as a source of life and enlightenment and energy and goodness, and that someone else is protecting it  . . . someone, as (#2) Ben hinted, who is benevolent. 

Speaking of Ben, kudos to Michael Emerson, Matthew Fox, Terry O'Quinn, Evangeline Lilly, Yunjin Kim, Daniel Dae Kim, Jorge Garcia, Josh Holloway, Elizabeth Mitchell, Naveen Andrews, composer Michael Giaccani and the writers, for 6 great years of absorbing, thought-provoking, quality television.

Namaste.

1 comment:

Becky said...

I'm with you, in LOST withdrawal as well. Like you, I quite enjoyed the finale. I enjoyed the Religious symbolism I saw in it. I can't think of a better way to end the whole series. I'm still thinking about it!