Thursday, July 26, 2007

In my right brain

I took a quiz and discovered I'm a right brain thinker. "What if you are motivated by art and love reading the classics, but you're a number cruncher in your day job? If you are feeeling out of sorts or dissatisfied with your job, let your right-brain/left-brain knowledge guide you on a new areer path. Even if you're totally satisfied in your current job, taking a class could allow you to explore and cultivate a part of your brain you may not use in your career. By working with your natural talents, you'll be likely to succeed at and enjoy work and school at the same time. With the wonderful educational opportunities literally at your fingertips, there's no reason not to be in a happy and fulfilling career. It's possible to be both creative and professional. It might be time to match your brain to your job."

It's good to know that when I left the university setting a few years ago, I was listening to my right brain. Even though I was teaching, a portion of my job required accurate numbers, ratings and evaluations, and I wasn't crunching them accurately at all. Tasks that used to be simple took twice as long to do, and creativity usually took a back seat to procedures and professionalism.

So now I am listening more to my right brain's promptings. I don't always understand them. But I think I'm on the right track.

No comments: