This time of year, I'm always reminded of a musician friend's comment about Handel's "Messiah:" "They should just bury it for a hundred years and then dig it up and evaluate it." I've never felt that way about the "Messiah" - in fact, I love it - but there are some overused words I wouldn't miss if they were buried for a while. Here are a few that come to mind. Please feel free to add to the list:
- boo-yah! (is that how you spell it?)
- instant classic (OK, two words)
- to "grow" anything that isn't in the plant world, such as a business.
- From JoLynne L: Woot, LOL and ninja. Excellent suggestions.
- and that reminds me: guru
You can also submit your suggestions to Lake Superior University, which issues an annual list of "banned words." http://www.lssu.edu/banished/submit_word.php