Monday, September 3, 2007

Funeral Organist fills in at last minute . . . Woman Moves Mountain . . . .




Rather a quiet weekend other than some hilarity at church. In Sacrament Meeting I was surprised to see the WFO (Ward Funeral Organist) playing instead of the WO (Ward Organist) or the AWO (Asistant Ward Organist, aka Miles Jensen). Seems Miles hadn't turned the calendar to September yet, so didn't remember he was supposed to play. And as he was late, and no one showed to play the prelude, they grabbed the FO . . . Miles didn't realize his goof until he walked in . . . and then in High Priests' Meeting they turned the lesson time over to a man who was totally surprised and unprepared, too . . .

Miles taught Sunday School and one of our senior members remarked that his older brother had died suddenly at age 91 while working in his pottery studio, and what a blessing it was that he could go so quickly, doing something he loved. And then he said, "I hope when it's my time, somebody will just shoot me!" and Miles said, "Well, Elliot, there are lot of people in this room who'd probably like to do that!" and everyone cracked up. Elliot is a well-known joker so he found it hilarious. Several people said they were more likely to attend Sunday School after that lesson, and nobody went to sleep. Many people are surprised to find that Miles is a very witty person, underneath all that solemn demeanor.

Miles' law firm is holding an open house on Wednesday for anyone who wants to tour the renovated old Logan Knitting Mill building. During the remodeling, (Miles was in charge) I was insistent that the old knitting machine be saved. It's about ten feet tall, and consists of black wrought iron spools and tongs and wheels and spindles. The designer didn't plan to use it, so I was going to find a home for it - a museum, or something! But it was worked into the final plan and looks great and so unique, and you can see it from the front window. All the attorneys' offices look very nice except for You-Know-Who's. He just didn't have the time or inclination, he said, to take care of his own office, but after a week of gentle persuasion on my part, we actually went to the office with a fig tree and hung 5 pictures on his walls. Now my walls at home are a bit empty but his office looks really nice.

Some days I really am remarkable :) and today, after the picture-hanging, I felt like I'd moved a mountain . . .

And now, speaking of mountains, I'm listening to the soundtrack from The Englishman Who Went Up a Hill and Came Down a Mountain. I think the music is appropriate as I had a productive writing day.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had a productive writing day. That is always a marvelous thing. Your post was entertaining, I'm just too tired to think of anything to say back. But I enjoyed it.

Unknown said...

I'm back again with a really fun idea:

I'll admit it, I ripped this idea off the JustaBeachKat blog. But every woman blogger in my area of the country, within driving distance, let's get together for lunch? How fun would that be . . . it will be the first meeting of the Utah Chapter of BEAUTIFUL BABBLING BOISTEROUS BLOGGING BABES. Email me at ces@candacesalima.com and let's pick a day for our first meeting!